Backyard archaeologyApril 1, 2009
Last weekend, D. finally finished up a project that’s been hanging over us for months: hacking out the gigantic Bird of Paradise in our backyard.
It’s beautiful, and was one of the things we really loved about our house when we chose it….but that was back before we knew how much of a monster it was! Bird of paradise plants are supposed to be divided regularly over the years; from what we can tell, this one never was, and it had grown into a massive clump of roots that was slowly tearing up the concrete patio and just generally looking raggedy (all while blooming its heart out). Much as we loved the flowers, it had to go. (Don’t worry—we’re transplanting the sections into several other safer spots in the yard!)
So D. has been slowly working away at this project for months now, and a few weeks ago, finally started to make real progress when he broke through to to the earth below in one corner. He spent César Chávez Day gouging out the rest of the huge root ball, and finally succeeded. (The baby tangerine tree behind him is what’s going into the BoP spot in the garden—it’s a dwarf tree, so it won’t have any plans for garden domination.)
Looks rather small in this photo, but that’s after this:
In all, D. dug out pounds and pounds of Bird of Paradise root, about a six-foot-by-six-foot spread. He also found roots from the spider plants he spent last year digging out, the apple tree, and some mystery plant with bright pink succulent-looking roots.
More interestingly, though, he unearthed the old footprint of a stone garden edge, and discovered that our brick path actually runs underneath the concrete steps, so it was probably there before the concrete for the patio was laid. That concrete has the names of the children who lived here in the 1940s and early 1950s etched into it, so I’m guessing it’s pretty old, though someone may have built the garden walls up after that point to terrace the beds. We haven’t decided whether to leave the stones exposed or not; if we do, we’ll need to build a new edge for the patio, since right now the bottom of the concrete is exposed (since the little wall built on top of the stones created a little raised bed to make it level with the patio).
And par for the course, there were lots of interesting finds in the piles of dirt that came up. We seem to find knick knacks every time we dig, which I guess isn’t surprising for a 94-year-old house in an urban area.
Here’s this weekend’s stash:
That would be one antique rusty light socket, several white ceramic hex tiles, one wooden alphabet block, one sailor (?) figurine, some glass that seems to be from a drinking glass of some sort (very thin and curved), and miscellaneous mysterious plastic pieces of something. The hex tile is particularly interesting—there was a lot of it, so it must have come from a project of some sort, but we don’t have any in the house now. Hmmm.
And last but not least, I did indeed do something while D. was busy digging! Spring starts went into the two raised vegetable beds at long last, since the weather’s warming up here. We’re still waiting for the new tomato bed to arrive—I ended up having a large planter made after I realized it wouldn’t cost much more than the wood itself—so those won’t go in until the end of the month. But it’s a start, at least! Here’s hoping for a successful season this year.