Plaid Friday: Shop local this holiday season!November 23, 2009
Yep, it’s that time of year again—and as usual I haven’t even started thinking about holiday shopping yet. Luckily, though, this Friday is Plaid Friday in the East Bay—which means it’s time for indie holiday shopping! “Plaid Friday” is a concept created by two independent East Bay businesses to help encourage Bay Area shoppers to go local on the Friday after Thanksgiving, traditionally the biggest shopping day of the year.
What you need to do to participate:
- Wear plaid on Friday, November 27, 2009 in support of local independent businesses.
- Look for plaid placards in shop windows or visit the Plaid Friday website to find independent East Bay businesses near you that are offering special discounts or hours.
- Buy stuff from local independent businesses on Plaid Friday and in the weeks to come!
There are dozens of independent businesses participating in the day of festivities, so here’s a quick sampling of just a few near my ‘hood. Check the website for their special Plaid Friday discounts and hours.
- 1-2-3-4 Go! Records (423 40th St. in Temescal)
- 17 jewels salon + spa (4801 Telegraph in Temescal)
- Bella Ceramica (3982 Piedmont)
- East Bay Depot for Creative Reuse (4695 Telegraph in Temescal)
- Farley’s East (33 Grand in Uptown)
- The Hat Library (1946 Broadway in Uptown)
- Issues (20 Glen near Piedmont)
- It’s Your Move Game & Hobbies (4920 Telegraph in Temescal)
- Johansson Projects (2300 Telegraph in Uptown)
- Kuhl Frames + Art (412 22nd St. in Uptown)
- Little Luxuries Bath and Body Boutique (391 17th St. in Uptown)
- Manifesto Bicycles (421 40th St. in Temescal)
- Mercury 20 Gallery (25 Grand in Uptown)
- The Moon (447 25th St. in Uptown)
- Oaklandish (Plaid Friday mobile opps at Piedmont and Pleasant Valley!)
- oo la la! gift & accessories lounge (386 17th Street in Uptown)
- Rowan Morrison (330 40th St. in Temescal)
- Rock Paper Scissors Collective (2278 Telegraph in Uptown)
- Ruby’s Garden Local-Grown Kidwear (5095 Telegraph in Temescal)
- Sagrada (4926 Telegraph in Temescal)
- SubRosa Coffee (419 40th St. in Temescal)
- WE artspace (768 40th St. in Longfellow)
And don’t miss the after-party:
Penelope Bar and La Borinquena Mex-icatessen
Corner of 11th & Clay, Oakland | Plaid Friday Hours: 6-11pm
Penelope Bar and Tina Tamale of La Borinquena are joining forces for a Plaid Friday afterparty. Once everyone is worn out from shopping at fine indie businesses, we are inviting everyone to quench their thirst and fill their bellies with us.
$3 Plaid Friday Shots | $6 Select Signature Drinks | 1 cent Indie Special shot if you wear plaid | $6 Tamale Plate with tortilla chips & salsa